The Old Church
The Old Church, St Alphege, Seasalter
Known locally simply as ‘the Old Church’ this is the delightful place of stillness and prayer at the heart of our busy church community. It dates from 1140 and is soaked in the prayer of God’s people.
Encountering God is one of the seven core values of the church, symbolised by the presence of the Old Church as a place which is set aside only for prayer and worship.
The Old Church is presently used for worship, Bible study and prayer. It can be booked for groups to use, via the church office. It is also used for baptisms, weddings and funerals, Silent Prayer and other services.
Our vision for the Old Church
Prayer is the wellspring for all we do at Seasalter. We have recently re-ordered interior of the church so that it becomes a more welcoming space for our core disciplines of prayer, worship, Bible study and silence. It now has underfloor heating, and chairs instead of pews to allow more flexible use of the space. Much of the original architecture of the building has been sensitively revealed and restored. A discrete kitchen area, and a separate outbuilding with a chair store and toilet have been created to enable good use of the space.
We have a vision to develop the church as a place of retreat, both for members of our own congregation and for individuals and groups from further afield. Our vision is that the Old Church will become a well-known centre for prayer and Christian spirituality, and a regional resource for retreats for small groups.
We have some work left to do on the paths, lighting and doors of the Old Church and are looking to raise the remaining funds for this.
If you would like to know more about the Old Church, to support the Reordering Team, or to contribute financially to the reordering, contact Lynda Kemp (firstname.lastname@example.org).